[Greenbuilding] Decking a Boathouse Roof

John Salmen terrain at shaw.ca
Wed Aug 24 23:58:39 CDT 2016

The simplest roof assembly is structure (roof joists/sheathing of some sort), insulation (type 1 eps) roof board (typically fiberglass/ashphalt ½” thing – mechanically fastened), two part roof system on top of that (screw fastened base sheet/ adhered top sheet). Every roof supply company has the same basic system – can look at soprema. Will run about 5 to 8 can per square foot in cost depending on local contractors and size of roof/ details etc. That is a current flat roof – not a vinyl deck – vinyl deck will be comparable and probably simpler.

The roofing weight is minimal in itself as most roofs would carry at least 10llbs per foot for dead load (sheathing, ceiling drywall, roofing) – a wood deck added on top would add about 15lbs per sq. ft. dead load extra so you would need to look at the framing and see if it meets current environmental load requirements (things have changed) and if that could be added. Carpenters love to make decks as they get to rebuild them 10 years later

Sheathing the deck in plywood and then putting a vinyl deck surface is crappy but would keep the weight load down and use less materials so environmentally is probably a better solution – fewer trees used. They tend not to leak except at odd upright seams and will outlast wood finishes and replacement is better than replacing a wood deck.

I hate giving this type of advice as I know environmentally the vinyl deck solution is actually less destructive but is a horrible solution. As a designer I would ask if anyone would ever use the deck.