[Greenbuilding] attaching 2" rigid foam

Topher Belknap topher at greenfret.com
Thu Dec 1 12:15:52 CST 2016

Greetings,

Firstly, be sure you have the moisture issue figured out.  Polyiso has
low permeability even without foil.  And so, it should be taped, and
considered a vapor barrier.  No wall should have 2 vapor barriers, of
course.

Secondly, I have used plaster washers for screwing in polyiso, and it
works fine (if not perfectly).  Other methods may work better.

Thirdly, R-10 will probably double the insulation value of a 2x4 wall,
perhaps more.

Fourthly, While batting is required to take advantage of any radiant
benefits of foil backed insulation (which if yours have none is moot),
it may not be necessary for construction purposes (or it might).

Thank you kindly,

Topher

--
Topher Belknap