[Greenbuilding] Conversation/Listserv Format

RT ArchiLogic at yahoo.ca
Mon Dec 12 20:55:03 CST 2016

On Mon, 12 Dec 2016 15:50:04 -0500, Allison Friedman
<afriedman at rateitgreen.com> wrote:
[big <snip>]

Thanks Allison for doing the thankless chore that you do, facilitating
these lists.

Just a ran-dumb thought:

How difficult would it be to combine all of the discussion lists into one
and have it operate in a similar fashion to Facebook ?

As you've noted, the traffic on most of the groups has diminished to the
point of being non-existent on some and I can't help but think that part
of the reason is the email format .

Whereas in the Olde Days of the lists during the previous millennium when
CREST was the sponsor, subscribers didn't seem to mind receiving 30 or
more messages per day from each of the CREST discussion groups to which
they were subscribed  (and it wasn't unusual for someone to be subscribed
to multiple CREST-run lists ) ... and some great discussion threads ensued
.

Back then,  people somehow managed to find the time to compose thoughtful,
informative, fact-filled messages with word counts running into the
thousands.

  ie I remember a thread where Marc Rosenbaum was telling us about the
debate he had (at an engineers convention (ASES ?) in Florida )with one of
the principals of the Scandinavian architectural firm  Gaia Lista who were
big proponents of the notion of air/vapour-open "breathing" envelopes and
Marc had the Guy from Gaia conceding that the facts didn't support the
theory.

Today in 2016,  rarely if ever, would anyone take the time to do that
anymore.

It's not that people don't want to talk in 2016 . I just think that they
don't want to do it via single-topic email listservers anymore.

If RateItGreen were to set up something like Facebook where
multi-disciplinary discussions could be carried out at a website (if
that's what a Facebook page is ... I'm thinking of something like the
Facebook pages that newspapers run where there might be dozens of
different stories on any given day ) and people could quickly scan through
the topics and select ones that they want to expand and perhaps
participate in,  that format may see more participation than what's
happening on lists like this one these days.

And perhaps that format would allow selective advertising in the sidebars
to help with finances. ie I wouldn't have a problem looking at advertising
 from companies that provide Green products and services so long as those
companies were carefully screened so as to minimise the opportunities for
Greenwashers.

PS: I've copied Allison directly on this message just in case the
listserver software does what it seems to have been doing to all of my
messages lately, sending out a null message with  the original as a file
attachment .

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom T6015O

< A r c h i L o g i c at Y a h o o dot C a >

(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "Reply")