[Greenbuilding] Conversation/Listserv Format

Allison Friedman afriedman at rateitgreen.com
Tue Dec 13 15:30:34 CST 2016

Thanks for the conversation.

I wrote Rob Tom "off listserv" and sent some screen shots, as I am pretty sure I can’t do that here.  Our format is more visual and does not rely on emails (but can send emails and weekly summaries when there are posts, it’s up to the individual user) But I did note and do note I don’t have a role in running this list - don’t want to take credit that belongs to others!  I also am really open to feedback, ad I have a great web development team now, so it’s a good time to share a "list of demands” or just some regular old feedback.  :)

Reuben - format is up to you, participants.  People can stay together as you can create, name, and form groups as you like.

John - But people don’t delete, I can’t follow sometimes when I really try, and yes, others aren’t seeing this priceless info.  (and Hi!)  Even trying to cut the extra repeats out of this conversation so I could reply and have one chain was fairly pesty.

I believe in getting as much green building information as we can to as many people as we can, and to helping as many people and organizations connect.  I’d love to help you all also meet new and more people.  I can’t do that with a listserv- as I can’t share a link on social media and show people your wisdom.  They don’t have to “be” in your group, but they could still see what you’re sharing.

If one or a few people want to set up a group and see how it feels and try a post or two, that might be a good way to try.  You can see what you like and don’t and people can see what it is you created for them to join, or not.  You’re right John that this listserv is also a treasure.  But Reuben’s right and I sense it too that people are using it a lot less.  And it’s pretty darned messy. And the info can help more people - and not be hard to read.  I don’t know if this would take off or not, and I worry not everyone would move, but the format would be easier to read, that I know.  And I could help point more people to the content.  The way I see it, you don’t actually lose if you’re the active people here if you stay, in theory.  Some people are posting sometimes, and a few others do answer so helpfully.  The friendship is sincere.  But others lose not reading what you have to say, and you do lose when posts are less frequent and are impossible to follow, and there are people out there you could enjoy getting to know and help you and learn from you who you aren’t meeting.  I also think you are losing members by staying in the same format, when the world is moving differently.  I couldn’t even follow the kind replies to my own post easily.  Which is frustrating when this is what I have been working to resolve so we can have more access to information and more green building knowledge shared.  I want to see more posts, not fewer.

Thanks,
Allison

> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2016 14:26:01 -0500
> From: John Beeson <emailme0617 at yahoo.com>
> To: greenbuilding at lists.bioenergylists.org
> Subject: Re: Conversation/Listserv Format
>
> Hey Allison!
>
> I?d say the list works great and is kept direct and concise when folks remember to delete as much of the previous thread as possible (without deleted reference/history content that may be useful to the stream of thought).
>
> I will go check out the ?rateitgreen.com? groups, but you are right, not many people see the conversations outside of the group.
>
> -John
>
> ———————————————

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2016 21:55:03 -0500
> From: RT <ArchiLogic at yahoo.ca>
> To: greenbuilding at lists.bioenergylists.org, "Allison Friedman"
> 	<afriedman at rateitgreen.com>
> Subject: Re: [Greenbuilding] Conversation/Listserv Format
> 	DelSp="yes"
>
> On Mon, 12 Dec 2016 15:50:04 -0500, Allison Friedman
> <afriedman at rateitgreen.com> wrote:
> [big <snip>]
>
> Thanks Allison for doing the thankless chore that you do, facilitating
> these lists.
>
> Just a ran-dumb thought:
>
> How difficult would it be to combine all of the discussion lists into one
> and have it operate in a similar fashion to Facebook ?
>
> As you've noted, the traffic on most of the groups has diminished to the
> point of being non-existent on some and I can't help but think that part
> of the reason is the email format .
>
> Whereas in the Olde Days of the lists during the previous millennium when
> CREST was the sponsor, subscribers didn't seem to mind receiving 30 or
> more messages per day from each of the CREST discussion groups to which
> they were subscribed  (and it wasn't unusual for someone to be subscribed
> to multiple CREST-run lists ) ... and some great discussion threads ensued
> .
>
> Back then,  people somehow managed to find the time to compose thoughtful,
> informative, fact-filled messages with word counts running into the
> thousands.
>
>  ie I remember a thread where Marc Rosenbaum was telling us about the
> debate he had (at an engineers convention (ASES ?) in Florida )with one of
> the principals of the Scandinavian architectural firm  Gaia Lista who were
> big proponents of the notion of air/vapour-open "breathing" envelopes and
> Marc had the Guy from Gaia conceding that the facts didn't support the
> theory.
>
> Today in 2016,  rarely if ever, would anyone take the time to do that
> anymore.
>
> It's not that people don't want to talk in 2016 . I just think that they
> don't want to do it via single-topic email listservers anymore.
>
> If RateItGreen were to set up something like Facebook where
> [...]

On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 12:50 PM, Allison Friedman <