[Greenbuilding] Steel Building Vapor Barrier Issue

Michael O'Brien obrien at hevanet.com
Fri Dec 16 14:44:19 CST 2016

Hi, David—

It’s a challenging situation, for sure. I hope this group can offer some useful insights about preventing vapor from condensing on the metal shell.

One aspect not mentioned is controlling moisture generated inside the living space. This dwelling should have fresh air ventilation to help control interior humidity. Outdoor air will be very dry during cold weather, when brought into the house and warmed to room temperature it might be down around 10-20% RH so would have good drying potential (often Coloradans in leaky houses complain about them being too dry in winter). I’m guessing the choice of a metal building in that climate might have been to save costs, so they might not want to pay for heat recovery ventilation, but it is an option. Where there is a concentrated moisture source, like a bathroom or utility room, add spot exhaust ventilation and tie it into the light switch. I think ventilation could suffice to dry the interior down, but could also add a dehumidifier. If the house plan is open, it could be located anyplace where it could drain out, like over a laundry basin.

Very best wishes,

Mike O’Brien