[Greenbuilding] Conversation/Listerv Format

Sacie Lambertson sacie.lambertson at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 10:54:30 CST 2016

All,
I first started reading our GreenBuilding list shortly after 1995 when I
wrote to Alex Wilson about something.  He kindly suggested the list back
then (Norbert is correct; it was Crest backed).  I've been a pretty
consistent reader mostly lurker since.

It has changed a lot but then the business and people's awareness of
'green' has changed too.  I have also learned a huge amount though the
list.  And pretty quickly recognized who to listen to and who to ignore.
We built our current house through the help of one of the more prominent
listers, albeit one who is knowledgeable but at the same time doesn't
follow through very well. I was willing to experiment with materials back
then but some large rather basic technical mistakes were made too.  Hard
way to learn a lesson.

I do miss the original bunch of experts, few of whom remain.  I love to
read Rob Tom's postings for instance.  (Don't believe he was among the
originals either).  John Straube's wisdom is always welcome as the final
word about most anything.

Building has changed a lot.  Whoever heard of 'rainscreens' back then?  And
'tight' was hardly in the lexicon.  All in all it's been a nice ride.  We
are now into building another house, a redo that has its own challenges.

I don't know who are the brains behind this list now.  For a while I helped
administrate it, which is to say I occasionally told a few miscreants they
could no longer post.  But that was all.  I can still do that but what we
need is more regular content, regardless of the format.  I suspect most
have simply moved on to other platforms for information.  The list I can
get into does not indicate who has posted nor when however.  I can get in
touch with the person who asked me to help administer the list but I am
pretty sure she has moved on too.

I can view who is on the subscription list but it is long and I am not
convinced it would help much because I suspect many don't read what comes
through nowadays.

(It is too bad we don't have a good archive of the useful postings we've
seen over the years btw.)

I don't know what to do about those people who don't have the courtesy to
shorten their postings.  But at the same time, it's pretty easy to delete
the useless.

Do continue the discussion; maybe something will come of it.  I am willing
to help it along too.

Sacie

​*******​