[Greenbuilding] Best attic stairs?

Bill Christensen billc_lists at greenbuilder.com
Sun Feb 21 22:08:58 CST 2016

Hi all,

I'm looking for a really good insulated, sealed attic stair to replace
the uninsulated, leaky el-cheapo variety currently in place.  I know I
saw some *really* well made ones from a company on the east coast at a
green building conference a fair while back - hope they're still in
business - but I don't recall the name and my Google-Fu hasn't turned up
any particularly stellar candidates.

I don't want a box or tent over the existing stair, which is going to
need replacing anyway.  I'd rather just get a stair that seals well in
the first place.

My understanding is that many jurisdictions now or will soon require
R-30 attic stairs (or assemblies) for new construction.  So I'm guessing
someone must actually make them.

The only place I've found so far that's close had an R-38 stair on their
website as "Coming Soon" - but emailing them put 'soon' in the 'we don't
know when' vaporware category.

Any good leads?

Thanks in advance.

--