[Greenbuilding] Best attic stairs?

RT ArchiLogic at yahoo.ca
Tue Feb 23 09:18:17 CST 2016

On Sun, 21 Feb 2016 23:08:58 -0500, Bill Christensen
<billc_lists at greenbuilder.com> wrote:

> I'm looking for a really good insulated, sealed attic stair

S'Up, Wild Bill-Bob.

Many moons ago (like in the 70's of the previous millennium) I made a few
super-insulated, sealed attic stairs using store-bought lumber and
hardware from the local small-town (Paris Ontario)building supply (ie
before Big Box outlets like Home Despot existed) ... plywood skinned box
filled with XPS foam w/ HD piano hinge... ladders made with 2x4s, rungs
glued/screwed into dadoes cut into the rails , ladder sections connected
with HD strap hinges, shutting against compression bulb air seals and the
whole schmozzle counterbalanced with a steel pail filled with steel chain
suspended by a steel cable (vinyl-covered clothesline) & pulleys.

Thinking a bit about it this morning, in these days when people seem to
have more money than time to f at art around making stuff themselves, I
wondered if the (heavy) 2x4 folding stairs might be easily replaced by a
store-bought extension ladder, chopped up into pieces and reconfigured to
suit the situation ?

But the best solution would be to get rid of the interior access to the
attic and move it outdoors to a gable end (or such like) and use the
homeowner's general purpose ladder propped up against the wall on those
occasions when access to the attic is needed (assuming that it's not a
habitable space, of course.)

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom  .  .  . T60BOM

A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot C A
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")