[Greenbuilding] Calculating Carbon Footprint

Norbert Senf norbert.senf at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 17:32:55 CST 2016

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 2:50 PM, conservation architect <
elitalking at rockbridge.net> wrote:

> (snip)
>
> Travel on airlines would depend on actual distances, number of take offs
> and landings.  I did find a airline specific calculator that offers a line
> for connecting flights, often greatly increasing the actual miles over the
> actual distance to the destination.
> This link is a air travel specific calculator that accounts for non direct
> flights.  http://calculator.carbonfootprint.com/calculator.aspx?tab=3

According to the IPCC, there is a 2.3 multiplier on the greenhouse effect
of airplance CO2, from the water vapour emissions into the stratosphere. I
have yet to see a calculator that accounts for this, perhaps because it
steps on everyone's toes. It easily makes air travel the largest
contributor, for many of us rich folks.................N

--
Norbert Senf
Masonry Stove Builders