[Greenbuilding] over-insulating

Bill Allen bill.allen at verizon.net
Fri Jan 29 08:19:36 CST 2016

I have been brainstorming the same concept except I have additional requirements for the heater:
1) needs to provide the living room ambiance of a traditional firplace when desired.
2) power a radient floor system if neccessary.

I guess #2 could be just a large hot water storage used for both dhw and underfloor heating but I believe they require different temp ranges.

I have a lot of wood and want to burn it in the most efficient, non-poluting way to supply all my requirements. Assume a well insulated, tight envelope (not built yet...dreaming up my retirement home in the mountains of NE PA).

Will also have plentry of south facing roof area for both PV and solar thermal. Perhaps the solar thermal could be used for the radient heating with the fire for dhw.

Would love any thoughts...

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S® 5 ACTIVE™, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone