[Greenbuilding] Septic for high water table area

John Salmen terrain at shaw.ca
Thu Jul 21 12:16:44 CDT 2016

I found a good design needs vertical space to work well. The phoenix is a good packaged system but still requires a small leach field for urine. I found that modifying a unit to recirculate the liquid through the system both denitrifies as well as can eliminate most of the liquid by evaporation.

The stacked plan could work with the unit on the lower floor (they are quite large) and the toilet above. Perhaps a small biolet could be used on the ground floor as a wc

Thing is you still need a field for graywater. There are very good graywater/wastewater recycling systems out there but unfortunately in Canada we are still trying to figure out approvals – so in the meantime it is part of the septic rules.

I used the waterloo in a large resort design. We had to create a septic field for the project by law but put in a diverter so the water could be used for orchard irrigation.