[Greenbuilding] Looking for windows

John Salmen terrain at shaw.ca
Mon Jul 25 00:39:53 CDT 2016

Changing code requirements in the last 2 years has made windows and doors a bit of a challenge in Canada as manufacturers struggled to comply and smaller interesting companies are either disappearing or have been bought out. That has made choices more limited to ‘major’ manufacturers that could quickly respond to the testing requirements. The benefit I suppose is that there are more guarantees that the product will conform to more stringent standards. The difficulties manuf. had was meeting requirements for large units. Basically code requirements have made windows and doors a cheap manufactured somewhat disposable building component. They perform to stricter energy standards but durability is a minimal component of those standards but they all use the same stuff that lasts the same amount of time.

I am not sure who services your area but it will come down to whatever products local suppliers are currently franchised for in terms of service – that will be the  most lasting warranty. The choices will be on the lower end a vinyl product up to fiberglass and fiberglass wood composite things – but generally from the same manuf. or a subsidiary. The performance on the units will be comparable, vinyl or whatever.  Vinyl is still environmentally the shittiest plastic out there environmentally. Fiberglass resins marginally better but the end products are comparable for durability as its limited to the same assembly sealants used in both -  and the wood in the composite products is just a fungicide treated abuse of a tree better left unmarketed.  The more expensive products in the lines are typically more expensive for aesthetics (larger frames, color choices, etc.) than any change in quality as they use the same components with the same assembly. Typically the products are either defective upon delivery due to poor assembly so need to be closely inspected - or damage from delivery (fragile things). Environmentally the smallest frames that can support the glass is the best option.

If they are ok upon delivery and installed properly they will be fine for the lifespan of the sealants used for glazing and frame (about 25 yrs or more depending on exposure). All the products, Jeldwen, etc. are basically the same and typically you are better in terms of service from a larger distributor (your local building supplier for example - as that is who ends up being the warranty provider). It is all packaged disposable goods at this point.

Energy in glazing is about the window design so you can specify something higher than your local area zone and triple glaze does make a difference in a project. What fails is operable windows and seals so do not oversize opening casement windows (do not use sliders). Minimize opening windows and look at using awning style for ventilation if needed or cover that in the ventilation. Minimize large windows. Like William Morris said in the advent of large rolled glass in England ‘ if I wanted to be outside I would go outside’ (something like that).

A basic energy model will give you clear answers as to glazing a house – where triple might benefit or where solar gain works – what type of glazing to use – where cost on insulation is a better benefit. Those in some ways are more relevant questions than what the end product is as that is just what some crappy stuff the marketplace is selling us. The only freedom is the design and how you make best use of the product.

Sorry, bit of a ramble/rant.