[Greenbuilding] best practice

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 21:31:08 CDT 2016

That is an interesting claim. I would be interested to learn how he arrived
at that conclusion.

I spent a good deal of time removing the siding from my 1895 single story
house with 2x4 stud walls and blowing in dense pack cellulose *very
carefully* and putting the siding back with round head screws that stand
proud of the face so I can remove the siding again when I get ready to add
Larsen trusses to bump the wall to 11" or so. My basement walls are already
11".
(1) as people here know only too well, the 4" cavities can be insulated
poorly or well. The difference can be striking. I have several friends with
equivalent houses in the neighborhood who had their houses insulated by
contractors blowing the stuff in through a series of round holes. Although
nominally the same, none of their indoor comfort can compete with ours.

(2) having now remodeled several spaces to have 11" walls, I personally
wouldn't hesitate to do this again, and our climate is fairly mild at
~4000HDD/yr.