[Greenbuilding] forced air heating vent placement

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 12:55:47 CDT 2016

There seems to be a tradition of placing these all the way out at exterior
walls, and often under windows. Does this hark back to when windows were
the coldest surfaces and this would--in combination with a floor vent--make
for convective currents which could then be relied on to mix the warm air
better?
I'm in the process of adding four inches to the inside of the exterior
walls on a 140 year old farmhouse and blowing a ton of cellulose into those
deeper cavities. There will be exterior storm windows and the house overall
should end up pretty tight and cozy even without the furnace turned on. I
have to move some of these vents as they are too close to the existing
wall; my temptation is to shorten the ducts, not just by a few inches but
perhaps by a bunch. I'm curious for any thoughts or suggestions you might
have.

Thanks very much.

Reuben