[Greenbuilding] forced air heating vent placement

Norbert Senf norbert.senf at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 18:46:12 CDT 2016

One advantage of having them on exterior wall is that, if you can slow the
flow down enough, the warm air will cling to the wall as it rises up and
warm the wall, thereby increasing the mean radiant temperature, and the
comfort level. Window is not a good spot for that. I saw a German radiant
heating company once that simply put a low temperature baseboard heater
around the entire outside perimeter. The convection coming off the
baseboard was laminar flow, and clung to the wall and warmed the wall. Cold
air does the same, except on the way down.................N

On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 1:55 PM, Reuben Deumling <9watts at gmail.com> wrote:

> There seems to be a tradition of placing these all the way out at exterior
> walls, and often under windows. Does this hark back to when windows were
> the coldest surfaces and this would--in combination with a floor vent--make
> for convective currents which could then be relied on to mix the warm air
> better?
> I'm in the process of adding four inches to the inside of the exterior
> walls on a 140 year old farmhouse and blowing a ton of cellulose into those
> deeper cavities. There will be exterior storm windows and the house overall
> should end up pretty tight and cozy even without the furnace turned on. I
> have to move some of these vents as they are too close to the existing
> wall; my temptation is to shorten the ducts, not just by a few inches but
> perhaps by a bunch. I'm curious for any thoughts or suggestions you might
> have.
>
> Thanks very much.
>
> Reuben

Norbert Senf