[Greenbuilding] Earthquakes and older houses

Bob Waldrop bwaldrop1952 at att.net
Tue Mar 29 12:41:36 CDT 2016

So here in central Oklahoma, we have been experiencing a growing series
of earthquakes over the last few years.   The USGS just released a map
showing the risk of human-induced earthquakes, and Okie City is right
there. The news said we were at perhaps a 10% risk of a level 6
earthquake.  Most of the thus far have been in the 2 to 4 range.

Now we are not only tornado alley, but also earthquake central, more
earthquakes last year even than California had.

I lived in the Bay Area of California and in SLC (on top of the actual
wasatch fault a geologist friend told me), and never experienced a
quake, but I've felt several here.  I've also been watching the cracks
in the interior plaster/lathe walls and my exterior brick veneer develop
and progress.

I do have earthquake insurance, but it is really only good for a
complete catastrophe.  It has a 10% deductible, and it doesn't cover
masonry.

The house has always seemed very sturdy.  It was built in 1929, the
studs are on 12 to 14 inch centers and are a hard wood.  THe sheathing
is 1 x 8 planks.  Then there is brick veneer over that. The foundation
is brick.  The back and front porch construction seems separate from the
rest of the house. The concrete front porch is certainly pulling away
from the rest of the house over the 16 years I've lived here.

Any thoughts about retrofits that would strengthen the house in the face
of the growing earthquake risk here?

Bob Waldrop, Okie and Shaky City