[Greenbuilding] Earthquakes and older houses

Michael O'Brien obrien at hevanet.com
Tue Mar 29 13:11:06 CDT 2016

Hi, Bob—

Sounds worrisome!

Here is Portland the advice is to make sure your home’s frame structure is securely tied to the foundation so a major earthquake will not knock the house off, rendering it uninhabitable and probably unrepairable. If the house stays of the foundation, thinking goes, other repairs will likely be more practical. Attaching the house to the foundation is done with metal straps connected to the stem walls or basement walls and to the framing.

Best of luck,

Mike O’Brien