[Greenbuilding] Earthquakes and older houses

Alan Abrams alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
Wed Mar 30 08:32:17 CDT 2016

Bob--

imagining the Oklahoma version of "The Big One," I think the gravest danger
is the collapse of the brick foundation walls. in our region,bricks from
the 20's can be pretty soft, and the mortar can be powdery.

if that all describes the scenario, simply anchoring the floor system to
the top of the brick walls might be inadequate. the strength of the
foundation walls would be limited to the compressive force exerted by the
weight of the house above. in this sense, the weight of the brick veneer is
your friend--but I think the veneer is going to be the first element to
fail when things start to shake. The point being, that even if the floor is
anchored, the foundation walls could rotate in, between corners.

one could of course jack up the house and install a new reinforced cmu or
poured concrete foundation beneath it. Or form up and pour new walls
against the existing walls.

but less intrusively, one might strengthen the walls by increasing the
compressive force--perhaps by excavating and installing a set of pier
footings at intervals around the basement perimeter, each pier footing
undermining the existing footing--maybe 2' wide or so. each pier would have
a reinforced anchor bolt, to fasten some set of threaded rods and
turnbuckles--which in turn would be bolted to the floor joists. Ideally,
there would be two rods for each pier footing, run diagonally in opposite
directions, parallel to the foundation walls.

There a lot of boggling variables here--such as the moisture content and
plasticity of the soil, height of backfill, direction of seismic waves--so
sizing the footings and rods, and determining how many to install would be
speculative. Maybe a big shaker would overcome this effort. Or maybe it
would hold up long enough for you to escape before it all comes down. I
don't envy your situation.

-aa

Alan Abrams

*certified professional building designer, AIBDcertified passive house
consultant, PHIUS*
*certified passive house builder, PHIUS*
cell     202-437-8583
alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
HELICON WORKS *Architecture and Education*
<http://www.heliconworks.com/index2.html>