[Greenbuilding] thermal implications of a vault vs flat ceiling at R-38?

Topher Belknap topher at greenfret.com
Sat Nov 26 11:37:33 CST 2016

Greetings,

Sadly, all I have is empirical evidence that stratification isn't an
issue.  But I do have that.

Venting's purpose is to move moisture past a (roughly) impermeable
barrier.  You can do without it by arranging you surfaces in reverse
impermeable order (i.e. most permeable outside).  Metal roofing however
is pretty impermeable (as if tar based roofing paper).  I would want
ventilation below those two things.

Sure, fill the entire triangle.  Moisture only tends to condense on
solid surfaces within a wall (at least at first).  Filling the whole
cavity leaves no interior places able to support condensation.

Thank you kindly,

Topher

--
Topher Belknap