[Greenbuilding] Advice on siting a home when the view is to the north

Lynelle Hamilton lynelle at lahamilton.com
Sun Oct 23 09:18:00 CDT 2016

Hello All,

I've found very little on this.  I have a NW facing lot, where the NW is
the only decent view (on water). The south overlooks the septic, a road
and low, wet land.

I want to maximize winter heat gain, minimize winter heat loss and
minimize overheating in the summer. I don't want to minimize the NW
water view, and do want to take advantage of the significant breeze that
goes NW-SE in the summer. Given the lot, this is a challenge...

I am thinking pf building a sunroom on the NW side that would be
separated by large doors from the rest of the area in the winter, as
well as installing a Trombe wall in the south face of the house, but
have no idea if this is a good approach.

Has anyone had any experience with such a siting and if so, any advice?
I've spoken with two local designers (south lake Simcoe area), but
neither has any idea of sustainable deisign.

Many thanks!

Lynelle

---