[Greenbuilding] innovative solution sought

conservation architect elitalking at rockbridge.net
Sat Sep 10 10:48:29 CDT 2016

I suggest you define the thermal envelope above the roof sheathing.  Install eps foam above the sheathing across the rafters and install purlins above fastened to rafters with a long screw.  Unlimited space allows you to choose the thickness of foam that is optimal for thermal and cost benefit.  I much prefer a vapor permeable foam to a non permeable foam because humidity can pass through.  Therefore, providing ventilation above the foam allows vapor to passively exhaust from the envelope.  The space between purlins can provide ventilation horizontally.  Using corrugated metal roof that can span between purlins, the rib provides an opening for air and vapor to rise vertically.  A Ridge vent is needed.  The complications of this approach are in how the thermal envelope transitions into the vertical plane (wall).  However, this approach achieves complete continuity.

Eli
www.lightfootdesignbuild.wordpress.com