[Greenbuilding] Dryers

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 23:49:46 CDT 2016

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 2:44 PM, Arnie Katz <arnie.katz at gmail.com> wrote:

> passive drying in the house can create moisture/mold issues (depending on
> how much laundry you have).

The quantity of laundry is an often overlooked issue. US DOE makes an
assumption that the average household does 8 loads of laundry a week. I
can't imagine doing that much,and have long wondered how this could be with
the majority of US households consisting of one or two people - but if I
did that much laundry, the logistics of drying them in the house could be a
challenge. But at one load every ten days (= 3-person household), we've
found that drying them inside in the winter and outside in the summer is a
breeze.

> Leaky houses, on the other hand, tend to get very dry in the winter and
> hanging laundry might be a good passive humidifier.

that would depend on your climate. Some of us live in climates that feature
high humidity in the winter. Funny how often folks forget this.