[Greenbuilding] dehumidifying bathrooms - makeup air?

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Sat Dec 16 21:10:26 CST 2017

On Sat, Dec 16, 2017 at 6:51 PM, Michael O'Brien <obrien at hevanet.com> wrote:

> Hi, Reuben—
>
> The primary purpose for the dehumidifier is to dry the air enough to
> prevent condensation and mold. The recaptured heat is a side benefit.

Yes

> Is it OK to use electricity to maintain a healthful environment?

I rarely get to decide these things, but since you asked me - I'd be
inclined to say: *Yes, but preferably after all other options have been
tried and found wanting.* Passive strategies (I thought) were generally
preferred since they tend not to place much of a burden on resources we
think of as scarce, or pose risks we would rather avoid.

In our society the default position for generations has been to employ,
substitute, specify a device that runs on fossil fuels or
electricity-generated-with-fossil fuels for simpler, vernacular strategies
or habits that predate this. There are hundreds (thousands?) of reasons why
this is so, but the reason I used the word loathing in an earlier reply is
that I can't in 2017 in good conscience go along with that default position
without first investigating whether an alternative that is less fraught
isn't available. I thought that was the essence of Green Building.

I guess I should also note that one of the chief reasons our environment is
headed for *unhealthful*ness seems to be our voracious appetite and
magnificent ability to justify ever more uses for electricity.