[Greenbuilding] Best House

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Sun Dec 17 14:05:25 CST 2017

On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 11:58 AM, Gennaro Brooks-Church - Eco Brooklyn <
info at ecobrooklyn.com> wrote:

> I understand where you are coming from, playing devil's advocate of sorts.
> So what is the definition of sustainable? Mine is that something can be
> reproduced willingly and globally for a long time. Yes if we all lived in
> mud huts it could be reproduced globally for a long time.

exactly.

> But nobody would agree to it. Thus not sustainable.

Aha! That is the crux, isn't it?

My definition of sustainable recognizes the problematic nature of allowing
politics to dilute what we know to be necessary. We know that we must leave
all remaining fossil fuels in the ground; not dig them up and certainly not
burn them if we hope to continue living on this planet. But we aren't ready
to face that music, accept that responsibility, make the adjustments to our
lifestyles that would be necessary. Which means that sustainability is
elusive or impossible (politically).