[Greenbuilding] Painting Old Steel Shower Enclosure

Antonioli Dan solardan26 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 12:40:01 CST 2017

I’m renovating a bathroom that has an older, smaller steel shower enclosure that’s no longer made. It needs to have the old paint (epoxy) stripped off it and a few spots of rust sanded. After that it needs to be painted, but with what? In California you used to be able to buy a two-part epoxy, which I’ve never used, but is now phased out due to air quality standards. People are recommending having it sand-blasted and powder coated, using automotive or marine paint, and a few other not very “green” coating solutions. I really worry about the off-gassing of these products, especially if you’re in a hot shower where the potential for off-gassing is increased.

I don’t know of any “green” shower paint products. Any leads or products/solutions?

Dan Antonioli