[Greenbuilding] Composting Toilet

Antonioli Dan solardan26 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 17:41:06 CDT 2017

We use the bucket system and have three “humanure haciendas” on the land. John Jenkins “Humanure Handbook” is an amazing read….you’ll learn more about bacteria in this book than in college biology!

We use five gallon buckets and then transfer the contents to used plastic pickle barrels. We date the barrels and let the contents sit in them for a year. During the dry season they lids are off, when it rains the lids are on. We sometimes add red wrigglers and bokashi to help break things down.

Because we have the space, we empty the pickle barrels and let the humanure further biodegrade for 6-12 months. We then use it on non-edible landscaping.

The pickle barrels can be a bit unruly, and we only fill them slightly above half-way so they’re not too heavy. You can also empty the contents into a well mulched pile and keep adding organic matter. If you don’t have a structure over it you can tarp it with a vinyl tarp during the rainy season. The pile we form is a ways away from the haciendas and we don’t want to have to carry the bucket that far every time we empty it. We just hosted a large workshop and it was convenient to have the pickle barrels next to the haciendas. We use sawdust when we have it, but since we ran out we’ve been using finely ground mulch we make with the mulcher, which seems to be better because it’s not only fine woody material that curbs the order, but it has more biodiversity to it and increases the metabolic processing.

Cheap, convenient, no moving parts other than your arms and legs. Just takes a little getting used to if you’re not familiar with it. Definitely WAY better than many of the disgusting outhouses I’ve used, as well as the portapotties that get dirty and stink to high heaven!

Dan Antonioli
Laytonville Ecovillage