[Greenbuilding] Anyone know about the Legalett Slab System

John Salmen terrain at shaw.ca
Sun Jul 16 22:32:45 CDT 2017

It can be – but heat is heat  - it transfers to materials (hopefully not the ground) and those details are generally just worked out in the design of the layers, resistance, flow etc. What is interesting is the less resistance the lower the water temperature has to be which makes thing more responsive – quickly heating and at less temperature (depending on insulation).

It is hard to deal with slope on sites (which is why they get dug up, blasted to hell and basements and crawlspaces get made). A crawlspace is not bad it is just an odd cold or heated space creating good habitat for neighbours.  If you have a good engineer remind them that a footing is a footing – has to resist frost upheaval (insulation), and that you like to save the planet from unnecessary concrete consumption.

Filling up 24” with rubble/rock is not bad. Rocks will always be rocks. The alternative for a crawlspace is putting in plastic and some concrete on the ground to seal it and then having to insulate and heat it and create access, etc. It is handy for wiring and plumbing if things are not all thought out before.

Good luck

John