[Greenbuilding] DIY sloped tiled shower floor, simple version?

John Salmen terrain at shaw.ca
Sun Jul 30 18:23:22 CDT 2017

A curbless shower is pretty nice for accessibility – chairs, walkers and some peoples feet just don’t go over curbs or they trip which is more common than you think with pretty bad results for aging. Much more common probably than clogged shower drain as that is pretty apparent as your showering. The chance of a drain clogging while you are away having accidently left the shower running….

Flow rates are now mandated at 2.5 gpm for shower heads so the drain and slope and area have to accommodate that at a minimum – 1 ½” pipe will handle up to 6 (approx) and 2” up to 12 gpm (roughly). I think that is a code allowance accommodating bad plumbing and typically flows are much higher.

For inspection purposes though the assembly has to be waterproof and this is generally tested by blocking off the opening of the shower – sealing the drain and flooding to some set curb height and water level monitored. What destroys showers, floors, walls, over time is (like roofs) one small incipient then continuous leak (usually in a corner).

John