[Greenbuilding] DIY sloped tiled shower floor, simple version?

John Salmen terrain at shaw.ca
Sun Jul 30 21:26:01 CDT 2017

I like curbless and that is all I have done in designs and renovations. In new work it has been cemboard over sloped eps foam with membrane over and use one tempered glass panel as a buffer and no doors. I find it makes bathrooms simple and accessible. I find very few people use or even want a bathtub. There is a bit of an energy loss in this form of bathing but debatable as most baths people want are grossly oversized.

In renovations it has been really nice as you can take an older small bathroom with an old 2’6x5  tub footprint and with bifold glass doors make a completely accessible shower that when the doors are open the shower is part of the room allowing for full 3’ shower, toilet clearances, etc.

The strip drains make the geometry/slope easy and work well – expensive but if thought out well can simplify the trades work.