[Greenbuilding] a comprehensive, authoritative text

John Salmen terrain at shaw.ca
Mon Jun 19 22:15:43 CDT 2017

Well – there has been an absence of anything other than pretty books - you have pointed out the need for such a text. Get working on it – you know pretty well who to draw in as sources. Don’t make it pretty – make it academic.

If not a text – I am in favour of compiling web stuff for didactic learning. Permissions and stuff to go through but you can also use survey sites for compiling material and testing if need be (survey monkey, etc.)  I am doing something similar in a different area and gave up on a comprehensive text.

There are a lot of ‘holes’ in the last 15 years. Lstiburek filled  a few and lots of European heros – I have been a big fan of the energy plus group over the decades.  Software is still lagging and crude in my mind compared to what it could be and should be as a ‘text’  (I can do remarkable things with BIM software like revit calculating all kinds of things but still not well integrated with a key green interface. LCA took some kind of sideways route - potentially now LCS bringing back the ‘sustainability’ word.

I think the ‘industry’ has shifted to ‘technologists’ as far as actual work being done by people in the field on the ground.  so have felt that the content (information) needs to be software driven as these are the tools that create the designs and deal with everything from planning criteria, structure through to landscape in terms of decision making. Greening it is now a factor of having that criteria part of the BIM model – and that is just LEEDS content at this point. Efficiency (energy and material efficiency) is ‘outside of LEEDS’ just economics. Reality being that the learning required to be merely proficient at this point keeps everyone at a ‘grunt’ level.

A ‘text’ a green bible could be effective at this point (if it incorporated the last generation of thought) in potentially having some influence on the software developments as its content.

Planning has ‘greened’ and that is where I am focusing more time as being effective in a community for ‘protection of the outdoor environment’ i.e. preserving what is not left.

Do we have time to read more ‘texts’ or just want to read a good book. I don’t know. I still learn in odd Socratic ways but the teacher has generally now been the software that I keep pushing to give me answers that are just not there.

Best

John