[Greenbuilding] Powder room under stairs

Lynelle Hamilton lynelle at lahamilton.com
Wed Jun 28 21:49:54 CDT 2017

I'd actually posted the initial question a while back.  Wow, what a
flurry of responses! In Ontario, it is indeed possible to place a powder
room under a staircase, provided that ventilation, headroom and egress
criteria are met. It certainly took some effort to find this out (and to
convince the designer) but it is now in the plans.

It is nice to hear from folks...what a great resource you all are!

Lynelle
On 2017-06-28 9:40 PM, Nick Pyner wrote:

> I guess that has to depend on where the job is, and most particularly
> where the engineer is, but I have done it several times and, as long
> as the  minimum height requirements are applied, it hasn't been a
> problem. And the engineer hasn't so much as said "Boo!" I really have
> to wonder what the codes are that "don't permit"...
>
> The only time I have had a compliance issue was when I went cheapskate
> with some flexible ventilation duct.
>
> Nick Pyner
>
> Dee Why   NSW
>

> On 29/06/2017 3:38 AM, Lisa Rigazio wrote:
>> Can you please cite code sections that prohibit a bathroom under a
>> stair? We have put MANY half baths under stairs in single family DC
>> row houses over the years and if the codes have changed I would like
>> to know.
>>
>> Lisa Rigazio, AIA
>> Rigazio designs, llc | www.rigaziodesigns.com
>> <http://www.rigaziodesigns.com>
>> 240-350-0532 | lisa at rigaziodesigns.com <mailto:lisa at rigaziodesigns.com>
>>
>> On Jun 28, 2017, at 12:57 PM, Douglas E Lamb
>> <douglaslamb at columbus.rr.com <mailto:douglaslamb at columbus.rr.com>> wrote:
>>
>>> Ms Lynelle,
>>> Regarding you plan to install wall mounted water closet & sink,
>>> Your Structural Engineer Is correct. Codes won't permit it!

---