[Greenbuilding] translucent material needed

RT ArchiLogic at yahoo.ca
Fri Jun 30 13:38:03 CDT 2017

Sacie;

I suspect that if you were to contact a glass supplier who has a helpful
person on their staff, they'd be able to find  tempered insulating glass
units of the dimensions that you need, from a manufacturer who is already
making them in bulk quantities for a door & window manufacturer, with low
-E , inert gas fills, warm edge spacers etc.

To get the translucence that you desire, you could take a sheet or sheets
of plain, untempered glass and sandblast them, either by yourself with an
inexpensive sandblasting gizmo ($20 at the local Canadiran Tire store) or
pay someone to do it for you.  You can paint on some rubbery gunk to
create artwork on the surface to be sandblasted to repel the sand and
leave clear areas.

The translucent panel would then be inserted in the opening first,
followed by as many layers of insulating glass as you want.  You could
make the openings better insulated than your opaque walls if you wanted
to.  No reason translucent panel has to be just white though. Since the
air barrier will be the IGUs , pieces of coloured glass could be included
when making the insert panel.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom T6015O

< A r c h i L o g i c at Y a h o o dot C a >

(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "Reply")