[Greenbuilding] translucent material needed

Nick Pyner npyner at ihug.com.au
Fri Jun 30 21:37:30 CDT 2017

I can barely believe what I'm reading but, if bubble wrap even comes
close to an answer, you might also look at using 3M heat shrink window
insulation film, which you can actually see through, and know what's
happening on the other side. It is actually made for the job you
describe and is only about $20. I got mine from some outfit in Canada.
The small door pack is probably more than you need.  My brother got
worthwhile results by simply taping it to the aluminium frames, but I
made up a timber frame out of 15x40 with foam surround which slides
snugly into the timber reveal, and also makes it portable. The
thermostat activity is a good indication of its effectiveness.  We need
the window openable most of the year, so I made an envelope from foil
insulation to store it in.

If you live in a seriously foul climate, I imagine it would be quite
practical to put the film on both sides of the frame and suffer no
evident loss of transparency. It does not appear to attract dust, and
can survive a cockatoo flying into it without damage.

I submit it a pretty good long-term proposition as cheapskate double
glazing, particularly if you are not opening the windows.

Nick Pyner

Dee Why  NSW

Sacie Lambertson <sacie.lambertson at gmail.com
<mailto:sacie.lambertson at gmail.com>> wrote:
I want good light but at the same time also want to add another layer on
the interior side of the windows that might make the openings more
energy efficient.