[Greenbuilding] Powder room under stairs

Lynelle Hamilton lynelle at lahamilton.com
Mon May 8 11:59:38 CDT 2017

In an effort to conserve space, I would like to put a powder room (wall
hung toilet and small sink) under the stairs. Stairs are not a straight
run; likely U-shaped but may also be possible to do an L (upper floor is
a partial and is 12' depth). Ceiling height is 9ft on first floor.

The structural engineer says that this can't be done, that it's against
code. I know that as long as I have the 6'11" headroom it isn't.

Has anyone had any experience with a powder room under the stairs?  If
so, how did you do it?

Many thanks!
Lynelle

---