[Greenbuilding] rigid foam inside Larsen truss

Mike O'Brien obrien at hevanet.com
Tue Jan 9 10:14:46 CST 2018

Hi, guys—

The author is describing the general confusion between energy efficiency and energy conservation. We’ve known for a long time that energy efficiency itself may not actually reduce energy consumption. For example, as houses have become more energy efficient they have also grown larger, offsetting the efficiency improvements.

I think the barrier to consuming less energy lies in the lack of feedback. Nobody knows how much energy they personally consume, or their household consumes. That’s because their feedback is in the form of kilowatt hours, therms, gallons and dollars, in multiple billings with no common units. No one knows how to combine these to obtain meaningful measures. Year over year, we don’t know if our energy use is going up or down. As a result, we also don’t know our carbon emissions, because energy bills don’t provide equivalent CO2 emissions—how many pounds of carbon are in a kilowatt of your electricity. That leads to the second problem, that no one knows what normal energy use looks like. Do you use less energy than similar households? More? You don’t know, so the pressures to conform to a norm don’t operate. If we all did get feedback, we would see a huge change in behavior. But all I have seen are web sites which allow you to guesstimate your energy and carbon emissions. A few utilities are trying out Robert Cialdini’s ideas (see the book “Influence”) to change behavior. We could use a national effort to measure energy use and change behavior.

Best,

Mike O'Brien