[Greenbuilding] Urine-diverting toilets Re: Greenbuilding Digest, Vol 89, Issue 8

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 14:17:35 CST 2018

On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 11:53 AM, Carol Steinfeld <carol at carol-steinfeld.com
> wrote:

> We haven't had many folks complain about odor, so I think you're pulling a
> draw on the urine line.

The seat & lid are always closed and are both gasketed, and we have from
the very beginning placed a candle (stopper) into the hole through which
the urine falls when the toilet is not in use as an extra precaution. With
all these precautions, the pathway by which the urine odor reaches the
noses in or near the bathroom has been somewhat baffling.

> Or one of the other factors I listed is at play here such as not enough
> slope in your drainline.

As I've now said several times, the line is v e r t i c a l. There is no
part that could be steeper than vertical.

> Did you say where the urine goes?

I did. Into a tin pail that sits outside in the fresh air. The toilet sits
in a part of the house (second storey) that overhangs the first storey just
enough to permit this setup.

> it's worth blasting the hose periodically or replacing it.

I've thought about both of those. What would you 'blast' it with? As for
replacing, access is not straightforward but of course this can be done.
Copper was mentioned as a perhaps more satisfactory material. My concern is
that the transition from porcelain toilet to whatever larger diameter pipe
or hose comes next is going to involve edges, gaps, etc. that are not
readily accessed, inspected, cleaned. That as you suggest might benefit
from 'blasting,' but wouldn't be reached by any pressurized water following
the path of the urine.

> You can put a P-trap in the urine line. I'm not crazy about doing that
> with no-flush urine-div toilets.

Me neither. Let's not go there just yet.

> I also tell folks to pour old coffee, tea, sugary drinks, etc. down the
> urine drain to give it an acid chaser.

Intriguing. I am not sure I understand what you mean by acid chaser.

> The odor filter in the EcoFlush urine-diverting toilet is new. It's
> something else to maintain. I can pull one out and photograph it.

The fact that an odor filter was invented/exists suggests to me that those
who are having odor problems aren't just 'doing it wrong.'