[Greenbuilding] Urine-diverting toilets Re: Greenbuilding Digest, Vol 89, Issue 8

John Salmen terrain at shaw.ca
Thu Jan 11 17:44:19 CST 2018

I like this conversation – have to say that composting toilets were the most challenging things to design. Fortunately the ones I did were custom so didn’t have to be made into a commodity- they only had to work. The biggest challenge was what to do with urine. Essentially it was the biggest potential polluter and creating a leach field for urine defeated the purpose. Employing electricity to dehydrate seemed also an oxymoron for something that was supposed to be both passive and conversing. Diverting captures limited flows and doesn’t really deal with it. What I wanted was a contained unit that dealt with both liquid and solids that didn’t have to be dealt with for at least 2 years.

The best design was similar to a pot boiler (a container within a container). The inside container was a large round commercial garbage container with a grid of racks every 4” – the racks were 3/4” perforated pvc pipe and were drilled and connected through the side of the container (to allow air flow). The pipe was cross gridded to create 2” openings. The bottom of the container was also perforated to allow urine to collect in an outside container. The inside container was suspended over an insulated outside container (larger commercial garbage thing) which was connected to a 6” vent chimney.  The bottom of the outside container was plumbed to a hand pump – located next to the toilet paper roll.

The idea was the moist feces and paper would collect on the first rack – as it dried (with air flow from perforated and heat) and reduced in mass would tumble to the next. Operating the hand pump would send an aerated spray of urine over the racks which would reduce the urine volume through evaporation and effect some denitrification. The tumbling effect allowed for some active composting eventually settling at the bottom where it would then moulder. I put in twin containers – one would fill up within roughly a year (was used for a rural commercial tai chi studio) and then the second was used leaving the first to moulder for a year at which point it was emptied (lifted out and emptied into an outdoor composting chamber where it would sit for another year before use). After use and emptying the containers were dry and well composted. The urine piping had a valve to switch between the two containers. The maintenance of having to empty a container every 2 years is a bit of a hassle but not bad. The large flue connection to the outer insulated container was extremely effective in ventilation so was one of the least smelly composters I’ve been around.

This was the only effective self contained composting toilet I managed to design and is still in use 15 years later.