[Greenbuilding] Question about attic insulation

Lynelle A. Hamilton lynelle at lahamilton.com
Fri Jul 6 08:02:09 CDT 2018

Hi All,

Again, I ask this group for advice!  Am insulating an attic space. It's
720 sq feet. The roof is a north facing slope and gets a lot of wind all
year, including winter. There is a 48 ft ridge vent and hand-built
vents. Location is Greater Toronto area, so definitely a heating climate.

We've installed vapour barrier, in anticipation of using blown in
cellulose to attain R60. We've been careful to seal all openings,
including the area around the access hatch and there are no pot lights.
The one duct that runs in the attic (bathroom vent fan) is insulated.

I've had two contractors (both in the field for some time) suggest using
open cell (1/2 pound) foam, as it will fully seal the attic area and
allow less heat, condensation, etc. At R60, it's about twice the price
of cellulose, though.

I've no concern about the ability of either contractor to appropriately
install.

I've pored through all of John Salmen's videos and articles that I can
access about best approach in this setting but confess that I'm no less
perplexed.

Any thoughts, folks?

Thanks in advance!

Lynelle