[Greenbuilding] Year-round thermal comfort & insulation

RWT archilogic at yahoo.ca
Sun Jul 15 09:39:58 CDT 2018

    On Saturday, July 14, 2018, 10:44:29 a.m. EDT, Reuben Deumling <9watts at gmail.com> wrote:

 Thermal mass (such as a brick or stone wall) would I think do a much better job producing comfortably cool summer evenings, but would not accomplish much in the winter. Are there hybrid wall assemblies I'm not aware for? What am I missing?

Some of the typical details utilised to take advantage of passive cooling :
- light coloured metal roofing on purlins
- overhangs and brise de soleil on all equator-facing glazing scaled to allow full sun penetration in winter and shading in summer  ...or movable  reflective shading devices where building geometry can't be provided
- as Mike O'Brien has mentioned, lots of thermal mass on the interior of the well-insulated/sealed envelope  --  ie heavy floor slab over crushed stone over insulation on main floor level, thin mass over wood-framed floors,  masonry or earthen constructions on the interior (ie wood stove surrounds, partitions where possible ... or thick plaster or doubled sheetrock or stud cavities filled with TM material where not ,   rainwater storage cisterns
-- deciduous trees to provide shading of the building and the ground in the vicinity of the building
-operable (awning type preferably)windows or vents at highest points of building interior that work in conjunction with vents or windows opening onto shaded areas to exhaust heat at night , kept closed during hot daytime
(gotta go --- a Cardinal outside window calling vigorously telling me to "Shut the window, it's going to be friggin' hot  ! " (40's with the humidex))