[Greenbuilding] Year-round thermal comfort & insulation

Stephen Collette stephen at yourhealthyhouse.ca
Mon Jul 16 07:51:52 CDT 2018

Hello Reuben and all,

I wanted to relate a personal story about  thermal mass and insulation to see if it resonates. I live in Ontario, so cold winters, hot summers. I live in a 100 year old house that has rough cut 2x4 hollow walls. Well, it was designed to be hollow walls. Living near a cement factory (at the time) our little village has the unique detailing of filling the hollow wall cavities with dry mix concrete (stones and cement), then lath and plaster over the 1x12 planking. The concept was that the walls would suck the moisture out of the plaster, and harden up, which they did in mine and numerous homes around here. So I literally have a ton (or 4) of thermal mass in my story and a half. It over the years has worked pretty well managing both heat and cold, however we found that any extended periods of either will result in the mass getting stupid hot or stupid cold and radiating heat into the house non stop, or sucking every kiloWatt out of it in winter. We have since done a major renovation and addition to the house adding 6 inches of Roxul (now Rockwool) comfortboard rigid board to the outside from the footings to the roof (it’s basically their old drainboard with probably John S’s stamp on it saying you can put it on walls)(haha). The master suite addition has 2x6 stud walls with Roxul batts in it and same outsulation. The overall consensus is that the older part performs better anecdotally. Too many variables to be accurate, but the thermal mass stays consistently stable throughout the year now and our heating bills have dropped significantly.

Summary. Thermal mass on the inside with outsulation is a good idea in my climate. Oh yeah, and make it airtight too!

Cheers

Stephen

Stephen Collette
BBEC, BBNC, LEED AP, CAHP, BSSO
Principal
Your Healthy House
Indoor Environmental Testing & Building Consulting
http://www.yourhealthyhouse.ca <http://www.yourhealthyhouse.ca/>
stephen at yourhealthyhouse.ca <mailto:stephen at yourhealthyhouse.ca>
705.652.5159