[Greenbuilding] Year-round thermal comfort & insulation

Norbert Senf norbert.senf at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 13:14:03 CDT 2018

We're in the same climate as John Salmen's, hot summers cold winters. The
main part of our 2 storey house is 6" hollow core concrete blocks w. 4" of
extruded foam on the outside, w. plaster exterior finish. The house has a
time constant of about 1 day -- if we go away in the winter and let it cool
down, it takes about a day to heat it back up. By the same token, it takes
about a day to cool down with no heat input. Night time cooling works great
here, even in this weather. We have big deciduous tree to the south for
summer shade, and use a fan in an upstairs window to boost the airflow at
night to discharge the heat from the mass. Right now at 2 pm it is 91F
(33C) outside and 75.5F (24C) inside.

--
Norbert Senf
Masonry Stove Builders