[Greenbuilding] Nexcem as a retaining wall

RWT archilogic at yahoo.ca
Sun Jun 3 13:39:32 CDT 2018

    On Sunday, June 3, 2018, 12:39:07 p.m. EDT, Michael O'Brien <obrien at hevanet.com> wrote:
 When we built our house with Durisol the rep told us in some countries the primary use of these blocks is for outdoor walls, like along highways.

Mike;
I suspect that the sales rep was referring to the long, solid-core, tongue-in-groove planks that are frequently used as sound/visual barrier fences alongside highways and busy thoroughfares.
Landscaping Retaining Walls

|  |  |

|  |
Landscaping Retaining Walls

Landscaping Around Patio Cement Slab #landscapinglife

They usually rely upon wide-flange steel I-beams as posts (planted in concrete) at the ends of the planks which are stacked up in panels  maybe 3 or 4 metres wide at most.
The retaining wall systems are a variation on the above, with a reinforcing mesh embedded between courses of the planks and extending a substantial distance back into the embankment.
See: "Durisol Anchored Retaining Wall System  (DARWS)"http://www.durisolisgroup.lt/uploads/5/9/4/2/5942642/canada.pdf

Since the Durisol ICF wall block are relatively lightweight and have no means of interlockingt interlocking between courses, one would pretty much need to use the same concrete + steel rebar core detailing as used for wall building if using them for a retaining wall  -- certainly do-able but not very Green... although I suspect that a surface-bonded system in lieu of the rebar/concrete cores may do the trick if the mesh used is corrosion-proof and embedded into a strip footing.for anchorage.