[Greenbuilding] Photovoltaics and EMFs

Antonioli Dan solardan26 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 16:03:06 CDT 2018

Stephen,

My question is focused on PV arrays on roofs, though any actual measurements of things like inverters and batteries is germane. From all of the replies there’s not a single one that specifically can say the’ve measure EMFs coming from PV arrays, let alone EMFs from those arrays getting into homes. Given your background I think you just might be the logical candidate to provide such measurements, though anyone with a standard EMF tester can do it.

Bear in mind that with the rapid advances in inverter technology that PV arrays can now be configured in DC from low voltage to up to 600 volts (this does not take into consideration commercial scale inverters.) And micro-inverters allow for AC transmission.

Unless there’s solid data to suggest otherwise I don’t think that PV technology is any more radiation intensive that what’s found in standard household wiring and appliances.

Inverters might be a different situation and if they do emit high levels of any form of radiation then they could be enclosed in a radiation barrier.

FYI, for grid-tied solar the load side is from the grid, not the inverter, unless it has battery back-up potential and only when drawing from the batteries will the draw be “through” the inverter. All off-grid systems rely on the inverter to provide AC power. DC direct systems don’t require an inverter.

Dan