[Greenbuilding] Residing a home in Minnesota

Tom & Deb Wiprud wipfamly at hutchtel.net
Mon Mar 12 14:54:54 CDT 2018

I have a question for this group.   I am purchasing a 1982 rambler with 2x6 walls and a walk out basement.  The siding on there now is Masonite colorloc fiberboard siding.  It is original siding with no maintenance done to it, and has rot and needs to be replaced.  I plan on using Edco steel siding. I will have a contractor do the residing, but I want to be sure it is done right, not the way the contractor has always done it.
     My question is what is the proper way to proceed with this project?  Could someone tell me what should I look for and how to make sure it is done correctly.  Here is how it is made, from the inside to the outside..
          1. sheetrock
          2. vapor barrier
          3. fiberglass batt insulation
          4. fiberboard or plywood (not sure yet)
          5, colorloc siding
  Should any more insulation be installed or a house wrap installed?  Any other ideas that I missed to make it a little more energy efficient?      Thanks  Tom