[Greenbuilding] Self-Contained Solar Units

Norbert Senf norbert.senf at gmail.com
Mon May 21 14:20:15 CDT 2018

Hi Lynelle:
Yes, they are gel batteries and don't offgas. Otherwise they have similar
properties to regular lead acid batteries, in terms of having to manage the
charge/discharge cycles.

I'm looking for some li-ion batteries also. On a small scale, the electric
bike guys really like the 52V 0.5 and 0.7 kW-h batteries from the EGO line
of yard and garden products that Home Depot sells. I have one of their
electric chainsaws and am really happy with it. We have an electric
forklift with a 3,000 lb 36v lead acid battery that is almost dead. I can
replace it with a good used 40 kW-h one for around $5,000.00. However, we
only use the forklift once a week for 10 minutes to load and unload the
truck. Bad fit for a lead acid battery designed to run it for a whole day
and be immediately recharged. It will die of old age.  I'm thinking of
simply adding a smaller capacity li-ion battery, which is very lightweight,
and hooking up a few solar panels to it. That way it can do double duty as
a backup power system, since we have fairly regular outages. Haven't
started to look seriously, but will talk to the local solar guys first to
see what they might have access to. .................. N

--
Norbert Senf
Masonry Stove Builders