[Greenbuilding] Fwd: Re: Self-Contained Solar Units

Joe Killian kaa-ajk at sonic.net
Tue May 22 00:31:35 CDT 2018

Lynelle,
   I see you've received lots of all-valid comments/advice from
different directions.
   Batteries other than lead-acid have various advantages, but not in
price.  Lead-acid is still the overwhelming default standard for PV
system storage (even though Tesla & others are trying to change that,
it's early).  And yes, AGM batteries handle the off-gas issue when used
with a decent charge controller.

   I think mrgoodbeer gives the best advice for you - especially as a
"solar neophyte".  Although I have no experience with microgreen.ca,
their system appears to have all the pieces you need for a good and
complete, albeit smallish, system, already hooked up.
   With 2 or 4 batteries, you'll have 600 or 1200 watt-hours on a full
charge draining from 100% to 80%.  Double that if draining to 60%, which
is about as far as lead-acid is recommended to be drained.

   You can glean much information from the web.  One site I find quite
good is batteryuniversity.com/learn/.
   I'm an electrical engineer with over 50 years experience.  I live
using off-grid systems myself.  Choosing economy over ultimate specs in
any sense, I use lead-acid.

Joe