[Greenbuilding] Insulating walls in (old) wood framed house without vapor barrier?

Joe Killian kaa-ajk at sonic.net
Tue Nov 26 00:08:04 CST 2019

Reuben,

   Is the insulation type a vapor barrier?  Could make all the difference.

   I think one of the best descriptions I've seen for wall construction
is at buildingscience.com
https://www.buildingscience.com/documents/insights/bsi-001-the-perfect-wall
https://www.buildingscience.com/documents/building-science-insights-newsletters/bsi-090-joseph-haydn-does-perfect-wall

   Just adding insulation without considering the water & air & vapor
issues could easily lead to the damage reported by the house restorers.
Understanding and addressing the whole picture to arrive at a properly
functioning wall would be the ticket. That could well mean doing more
than just blowing insulation into the walls.

Joe