[Greenbuilding] Insulating walls in (old) wood framed house without vapor barrier?

John Straube jfstraube at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Nov 26 07:28:58 CST 2019

too simple to say “can be” or “cant be”
It depends.  on the wall assembly, materials, interior climate, exterior climate and exposure.
Lots and lots of “old" homes have been insulated, the vast majority successfully.

So what is the wall made of? How old? What is the interior RH in the winter? Rain exposure?
In most cases down in cellulose combined with a good air sealing job on the inside works very well with low low risk