[Greenbuilding] Insulating walls in (old) wood framed house without vapor barrier?

Stephen Collette stephen at yourhealthyhouse.ca
Tue Nov 26 16:01:48 CST 2019

Hello Reuben and all,

I would echo other’s comments. Yes it can be done, yes it can go wrong, but details details details. When I work with heritage properties (I’m a heritage professional too) I recommend focussing on the air sealing component when insulating stick frame wall systems. I do not recommend spray foam, as the spray will migrate into the drainage plane through the gaps in the planking. I’ve seen that happen. Not pretty. So whether you are opening the walls from the inside or the outside, make sure the air sealing is awesome and the existing large lumber will handle the moisture migrating through via vapour transmission safely.

Now if it was a masonry wall system, no I wouldn’t recommend insulating as the masonry may fail, especially in big masonry walls like churches and such.

I would also add that more outsulation the better. If heritage designation isn’t an issue, I took my 100 year old house 1918 and added 6” of Rockwool exterior to the house. I keep the planking on the outside (it was holding in the dry mix concrete originally installed) added more sheathing for flatness, then Delta VentSA peel and stick vapour open weather resistant barrier and then the rock wool. Finished it off with 2x4 strapping to get the full inch thickness for warranty for the wood siding finish. If you want some photos, email  me off line.

So yes, it can be done. Do it right. It’s all about the details. That’s what defines green building in my opinion.

Cheers

Stephen

Stephen Collette
BBEC, BBNC, LEED AP, CAHP, BSS
Your Healthy House - Indoor Environmental Testing & Building Consulting
http://www.yourhealthyhouse.ca
stephen at yourhealthyhouse.ca
705.652.5159

Listen to my podcast from my website