[Greenbuilding] wall construction

Topher Belknap topher at greenfret.com
Mon Feb 17 19:59:44 CST 2020

Greetings,

I would be concerned about the permeability of OSB on the exterior.

I propose something more like:

Permeable membrane (water barrier)
5.5" Roxul
1/2" Air sealed, vapor barrier sheet board (e.g. Zip)
3.5" Roxul
1/2" Drywall

R-33  1" thicker, but plenty of space for electric boxes, etc.
No foam, so probably much cheaper.  Better drying characteristics.
Better insulation (BTW, I get R-24 for your assembly, apples to apples.
less if that 6" is actually 5.5)  And you aren't trying to tape up 1/2"
foam board.

Or better yet:

Permeable membrane (water barrier)
9.5" Roxul
1/2" Air sealed, vapor barrier sheet board (e.g. Zip)
3.5" Roxul
1/2" Drywall

R-47  Getting into Passivhaus territory.

I haven't run WUFI simulations on any of these, but I am concerned about
your cavity with OSB on one side and foam on the other.

Thank you kindly,

Topher

--
Topher Belknap